Monday, April 23, 2007

Nutrition + Rest = Top Performance

To stay on the positive side of training, nutrition and rest are very important. When nutrition and rest are not given importance, training will suffer. This sounds simple but, at times following this can be difficult.

Fatigue is the resulting effects of exercise and the bodies non ability to adapt to the stress. Fatigue Nutrition along with rest and a sensible training plan will allow for adaption and improvement.

What does all this mean? To eat a diet that includes lots of fresh vegetable and fruit. Eating good sources of protein such as lean beef, chicken breasts, and white fish. Getting 8 hours of quality sleep a night. At times sleeping more when training at high levels. Taking rest days to ensure that the mind and body are allowed time to recover. Following a training plan that has equals parts of hard and easy training. And still challenges the body enough to continually improve.

An example of this would be from this past weekend. Friday I ran a 10 mile tempo run. Afterwards I made sure that I took a recovery drink. Within an hour I had a good breakfast consisting of oatmeal, strawberries, bananas and a cup of coffee. I concentrated on hydration and good food for the rest of the day.

I slept in Saturday and did an easy 5 mile recovery run. Saturday night I ate a high carbohydrate supper consisting of pasta, chicken , salad and a bagel. Went to bed early and got a good nights sleep.

Sunday I prepared for an 18 mile run. I drank 32oz of gatorade and ate a banana. I planned water stops and also consumed power gels. After the run I had another recovery drink and a good breakfast. Sunday afternoon I took an hour nap.

Today is a complete rest day. I will concentrate on nutrition and stretching. Tonight I will sleep 8 hours again. Tuesday will be another rocovery day. Wednesday I will head to the track for 12x400 repeats.

http://www.fatiguenutrtion.com/

No comments: